One of my favourite things to do each year is to choose a word or a theme to guide me for the next 12 months. I got this idea from Elise Blaha Cripe, via Ali Edwards’ One Little Word project, and I’ve been doing it for three years now. My words so far have been reach in 2013, abundance in 2014, and grace in 2015. Seeing them all together makes me so happy, because any word I take on as a personal theme becomes really special to me. Abundance has probably been my most powerful word thus far – it really guided me through a year that was at times tumultuous and challenging. I also did a great job of keeping it at the front of my mind and reflecting on it often, two things I hope to do this year with my new word.
My word for 2016 is light. Even the word itself feels so evocative and uplifting, and it also makes me feel hopeful. To me, it seems to have that same quality that abundance did, in that it offers a very quick guide to switching to a more positive mindset and handling the less-than-ideal aspects of life. I also love that it has so many uses – it’s both a noun and a verb, not to mention a wonderful physical thing.
There are a few different ways I want to use light this year:
- Be light: Be kinder to others and to myself. Take myself, and especially my temporary emotions, less seriously. Don’t sweat the small stuff.
- Be a light: Bring the positivity to the party, or the conversation, or the interaction. Share my knowledge and joy. Spread good ideas and wisdom.
- Shine light: Focus my attention on all the good, positive, lovely things in my life. Thank and truly appreciate others.
- Light up: Get really excited about things. Plan adventures, and look forward to them. Engage in interesting conversations, follow through on my passions, say yes to things that are exciting.
- Feel the light: Literally get outside into the sunshine more often. Bring more light into our home in the form of lamps and warm lightbulbs, as well as a bit of light in the form of life: plants, music, animals. Remember to celebrate my small wins, appreciate when I am appreciated, and notice what’s great.
This year, I’ll also be taking Ali Edwards’ One Little Word workshop class for 2016. I’m hoping it will help me keep my word present in my everyday life and in turn make it more meaningful and helpful for me.
Lots of love and light to you and yours as we head into the new year!
You can see my words from previous years here: reach, abundance, and grace.
If you’d like a high-resolution copy of the wallpaper above, you can download it right here.