Mm, fall food.
How much are you loving fall?
A lot? A little?
Personally, I find it difficult to disassociate the beautiful autumn weather & fun fall activities from the hell that is midterm season. I resent that though, because fall is my favourite of all the seasons! It’s electric, full of excitement and crunch and unadulterated joy.
One thing that makes fall easier to appreciate, for me, is making delicious fall-like food and consuming it. I do this a lot.
I think my favourite comfort food right now is a big hearty bowl of my mom’s chili with some sour cream and green onions and some biscuits on the side. Mmmm. It’s the perfect food really: easy, healthy, sharable, delicious, keeps for a long time in the fridge :)
So, my fine people, I share with you the deliciousness that is chili in the fall. Enjoy!
Makes about 6 servings, depending on how hungry you are.. :)
1. Chop up 1 onions, 2 stalks celery, 3 garlic, 2 carrots very small
2. Cover ½ cup of barley (or bulgor wheat!) with 2 cups of water; simmer until barley/bulgor is cooked
3. Meanwhile, sauté the veggies in olive oil until tender crisp
4. Add finely chopped pepper and zucchini to the sautéed veggies, sauté until soft (I add diced mushrooms and neglect the zucchini)
5. Add spices: cinnamon, chili powder, cumin, basil, shake of salt, little pepper, any other spices you might like..
6. Add a large tin of diced tomatoes
7. Add some red wine (few tbsp)
8. Simmer it a while, add drained barley and a rinsed can of kidney beans
9. Taste! Add salt. Add a little sugar, a bit more cinnamon. Add some ketchup. Taste & repeat if necessary!
11. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and some green onions – YUM!
Easiest Scones Ever
Follow this link to find the easiest scones of all time..yummo!
Let me know how the recipe turns out, if you try it!